Though I now spend a good portion of my time as a consulting doula working hourly in order to reach more mothers and assist in more complex short term situation, I also take “traditional” birth clients.
However my consulting work also means that I can be a low-volume provider. I take a maximum of one or two clients per month, and have never missed a birth!
What does having a birth doula look like?
I believe in the support that a doula provides. My philosophy is simple – I am here to support you no matter how you choose to birth. I will help provide the physical, emotional, and informational support you need to have the birth experience you are looking for. I will support your decisions whether you have a medicated or unmedicated birth. This is your body, your baby, and your birth! I do not take the place of your partner, I support the whole family together.
At the initial consultation I will answer any questions you have, and get to know each other. If any questions are unanswered, please contact me by email or phone so that you are fully informed.
Returning your signed contract and deposit secures my services for your estimated month of delivery. Once these items have been received, I will contact you to schedule our prenatal meeting.
During the prenatal visits we will discuss birth goals and choices, positions for labor, relaxation techniques, and the role you would like me to fulfill. I recommend all my clients take childbirth education classes, preferably from a certified independent instructor. We will also discuss when and where we will meet for your labor, any concerns you have that come up through the pregnancy, and any other questions or decisions you wish to talk over.
During your on call period (the month surrounding your EDD), I am available 24/7 to answer questions, help comfort you during prodromal labour if it happens, and to help you decide when labour is coming, I have spent many times on the phone during early labour so that we can decide together what is happening at the time.
When labour is established I will meet with you at your chosen location, and remain with you for the entire birth all the way until you are settled with your new baby afterwards.
I will then keep in contact about postpartum concerns, starting breastfeeding and caring for yourself after birth, and we will discuss the scheduling of other postpartum visits as needed. At later postpartum visits, we will review your birth experience and I will answer any follow up questions you may have about your birth.
I am there to go along the journey with you so that you always have the same person to discuss with, to help and comfort you, and answer all your questions.
Labour Doula Services
My labour services starting in pregnancy with education, discussion and support and take you through early labour and into birth with me continuously there. The services below are my bare minimum! I am a full service doula and will do whatever I can to help you through the birth process!
- complementary consultation
- minimum of 1-2 prenatal visits, more visits can be scheduled if needed
- identification of support needs individual to you
- assistance with birth planning, available choices, stressors, birth goals
- phone and e-mail consultations
- 24-hour on-call availability surrounding due date (2 weeks before due date and 2 weeks after – or until the baby is born)
- minimum of 1-2 postpartum visits, including early breastfeeding support
I also provide:
- comfort technique discussions
- physical help with preparing for home birth and or setting up a labour pool
- meeting with your care provider (optional)
- meeting my backup doula (optional)
- babywearing carriers testing and lending library
- pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and parenting book library
- breastfeeding pillows, support belts, co-sleeping “nest” and baby supply lending library
- clean laundry and house after a home and/or water birth
Labour and Lactation Doula Services
As a birth doula and breastfeeding counsellor I can support you right through the transition to breastfeeding, without new appointments, new practitioners, and in the comfort of your own home for the next 6 weeks!
- all basics above
- plus unlimited on-call lactation support for up to 6 weeks
Double the Birth Doula! Services
A sister-practise birth doula and I have teamed up to offer you Double the Doula. Whether you’re single and want two support people with you, you’re looking for uninterrupted support and prefer working with two people rather than just having a backup, or you had struggles with your last birth and/or breastfeeding experience and want fresh, unlimited support through the entire labour, birth, and early period, we have double to offer!
- all basics above… plus!….
- A team of two birth doulas working together!
- unlimited labour support, and unlimited early postpartum support for the first 2 weeks
Everything and the Kitchen Sink! Services
Another sister-practise breastfeeding counsellor and postpartum doula and I have teamed up to offer you Everything and the Kitchen Sink. Want a labour doula, and then two postpartum doulas to make sure everything in your life runs smoothly for the first 6 weeks
- all basics above… plus!….
- A team of two doulas, one birth, and one postpartum working together!
- unlimited labour support, and 20 hrs early postpartum support for the first 6 weeks
- “Welcome Home” Service for hospital births (a quick house tidy up while you’re admitted)
- or “Happy Home” Service for home births (a quick clean-sheets, straighten-kitchen clean up a day or two after)
- a clean kitchen sink 😉
More than the Kitchen Sink?? Services
- all basics above… plus!….
- how ’bout all 3 doulas working together, to provide you with everything you need in late pregnancy, labour, birth, and early postpartum period!! Packages can be customized to include education sessions, light child care, home assistance, postpartum fertility, sleep, or parenting support and education, antenatal peer counselling sessions, and more. Bring a team to your birth.
Cost: starting at $1795